Sunday, February 1, 2009

Superbowl Sunday

Superbowl Sunday has always been an important day to my family. Growing up back in New York, life during football season was planned around Buffalo Bills games. The parties were all held at our house and, no matter how many times they lost, we kept coming back for more.

My dad was quite possibly the biggest Bills fan I've ever known. When they went to the Superbowl in 1992 my mom was 9 months pregnant with my brother. We always re-tell the story of that morning when he told my mom she "better not go into labor today. If it's during the game, I'm not coming to the hospital!" Turns out she went into labor the very next morning, January 27th (after the Bills loss).

Moving out to Arizona and losing my dad, we lost touch with the Bills for a little while. Superbowl Sunday's were never the same, but my mom, brother and I always made a point to stay home, order pizza and wings and watch the game. I have always remained a Bills fan and, because of how I grew up around it, will ALWAYS be a Bills fan.

This year however, the FIRST year in the past 15 years that I am not in Arizona, who goes to the Superbowl? The Arizona Cardinals! I have to admit, year after year of hearing, "this team is going to be great this year!" and then watching them suffer, I have not exactly been a fan. However, the energy out there today must be amazing! Arizona loves their team and it's exciting to see them make it this far!

I have several friends here from Arizona who are throwing a Superbowl party, which is where I will be later. It's not the same as watching with my family and it's not the same as being in Arizona, but it will have to do.

Go Cardinals!

2 comments:

  1. Too bad about the Bills, and the Cardinals. Hope that you'll bring better luck to the Broncs, now that you're in Colorado.

    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Cardinals! And Arizona I used to live there too! Not as long as you did though. But Im so bummed the Cardinals didnt win the super bowl!!! Steelers suck!

    ReplyDelete